- 8/9/19: 2019 NHTF Application posted. See the 2019 Program Overview section below.
- 7/26/19: Notice of Funding Opportunity for the 2019 NHTF Program released. 4 application workshops will be held: Nashville (8/13/19), Knoxville (8/14/19), Jackson (8/20/19), and Memphis (8/21/19). See the Notice of Funding Opportunity memo for more details.
About the National Housing Trust Fund
The National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) is a federal program administered in the State of Tennessee by the Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA) to provide funding for the production, preservation, rehabilitation, and operation of affordable rental housing for extremely low income (ELI) households. ELI is defined as earning no more than 30% of the Area Median Income (AMI) or the federal poverty limit for the county in which the housing is located.
NHTF grants are awarded through a competitive application process to local public housing authorities and non-profit organizations that are either organized in or licensed to operate in Tennessee. There is a 30-year affordability period requirement.
The National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) was established under
Title I of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act (HERA) of 2008, Section 1131
(Public Law 110-289). Section 1131 of HERA amended the Federal Housing
Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 (12 U.S.C. 4501 et seq.)
(Act) to add a new section 1337, entitled "Affordable Housing
Allocation" and a new section 1338, entitled "Housing Trust Fund."
This program is governed by Title 24 Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 91 and 93; Interim Rule. Those regulations are incorporated by reference into the Program Descriptions provided below.
2019 Program Overview
- 2019 NHTF Application (Excel)
- 2019 National Housing Trust Fund Program Description
- Need and Opportunity Scores
- Distressed and Rural combination scoring - (heat map)
- 2019 Notice of Funding Opportunity memo (includes Application Workshop Dates)
2018 Program Overview
- 2018 NHTF Grantee Workshop Presentation
- 2018 Awards Matrix
- 2018 National Housing Trust Fund Program Description
Previous Program Year Information
Access the library of forms needed to administer the NHTF Program
- Chapter 1 - General Program Requirements
- Chapter 2 - Financial Management
- Chapter 3 - Procurement
- Chapter 4 - Relocation and Displacement
- Chapter 5 - Acquisition
- Chapter 6 - Fair Housing
- Chapter 7 - Environmental Review
- Chapter 8 - Rental Housing
- Chapter 9 - Lead Based Paint
- Design Standards - Rehabilitation
- Design Standards - New Construction
- Environmental Provisions Checklist : New Construction
- Environmental Provisions Checklist : Rehabilitation
- THDA UPCS Checklist
- NHTF Subsidy Limits
- NHTF Rent Limits
- NHTF Income Limits
- National Housing Trust Fund Environmental Provisions
- National Housing Trust Fund Interim Rule
- State Diversity Directory
- CFR 200 Uniform Administrative Requirements; Procurement
- 24 CFR Part 35; Lead Based Hazards
|Compliant NHTF Procurement
Covers the procurement requirements of the NHTF program, including such topics as: risks of noncompliance, procurement standards, conflicts of interest, procurement methods, limits, and resources for further information.