About the National Housing Trust Fund
The National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) is a federal program administered in the State of Tennessee by the Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA) to provide funding for the production, preservation, rehabilitation, and operation of affordable rental housing for extremely low income (ELI) households. ELI is defined as earning no more than 30% of the Area Median Income (AMI) or the federal poverty limit for the county in which the housing is located.
NHTF grants are awarded through a competitive application process to local public housing authorities and non-profit organizations that are either organized in or licensed to operate in Tennessee. There is a 30-year affordability period requirement.
The National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) was established under Title I of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act (HERA) of 2008, Section 1131 (Public Law 110-289). Section 1131 of HERA amended the Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 (12 U.S.C. 4501 et seq.) (Act) to add a new section 1337, entitled "Affordable Housing Allocation" and a new section 1338, entitled "Housing Trust Fund."
This program is governed by Title 24 Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 91 and 93; Interim Rule. Those regulations are incorporated by reference into the Program Descriptions provided below.
4/08/2020 Announcement: Inspections During COVID-19
THDA continues to closely monitor the situation regarding COVID-19 in Tennessee, and is issuing guidance to help our programs persevere through this pandemic.
Effective immediately and until further notice, THDA staff will not be conduction in-person inspections. In order to continue and progress through our HOME and National Housing Trust Fund Projects, all inspections will be conducted through remote desktop reviews submitted electronically and a live virtual physical inspection.
Please find the Virtual Physical Inspection Protocol Policy created by THDA to enable completion of projects already commenced, which need to be concluded within the next 30 days: THDA Virtual Physical Inspection Protocol
THDA will continue to communicate with its Grantees and Administrators as further information and guidance is received concerning the COVID-19 as it relates to the HOME and National Housing Trust Fund Program.
THDA values your partnership and appreciates your continued support during these uncertain times. If you have any questions, please call Dwayne Hicks at 615-815-2044 or e-mail your HOME Coordinator.
2020 Program Overview
- 2020 National Housing Trust Fund Program Description
- 2020 National Housing Trust Fund Amended NOFA Announcement 3-25-2020
- 2020 National Housing Trust Fund Application Workshop Presentation
- 2020 National Housing Trust Fund Application Form V3 4.13.2020
- 2020 National Housing Trust Fund Need and Opportunity Scores
- 2020 National Housing Trust Fund Funding Matrix
2019 Program Overview
- 2019 National Housing Trust Fund Application
- 2019 National Housing Trust Fund Program Description
- 2019 National Housing Trust Fund Funding Recommendations Matrix
- 2019 Need and Opportunity Scores
- 2019 Distressed and Rural Combination Scoring
- 2019 Notice of Funding Opportunity Memo
2018 Program Overview
- 2018 NHTF Grantee Workshop Presentation
- 2018 Awards Matrix
- 2018 National Housing Trust Fund Program Description
Previous Program Year Information
- 2017 National Housing Trust Fund Awards Matrix
- 2017 National Housing Trust Fund Program Description
- 2016 National Housing Trust Fund Awards Matrix
- 2016 National Housing Trust Fund Program Description
Access the Library of Forms needed to administer the NHTF Program
- Chapter 1 - General Program Requirements
- Chapter 2 - Financial Management
- Chapter 3 - Procurement
- Chapter 4 - Relocation and Displacement
- Chapter 5 - Acquisition
- Chapter 6 - Fair Housing
- Chapter 7 - Environmental Review
- Chapter 8 - Rental Housing
- Chapter 9 - Lead-Based Paint
- Design Standards - Rehabilitation
- Design Standards - New Construction
- Environmental Provisions Checklist : New Construction
- Environmental Provisions Checklist : Rehabilitation
- THDA UPCS Checklist
- NHTF Subsidy Limits
- NHTF Rent Limits
- NHTF Income Limits
- National Housing Trust Fund Environmental Provisions
- National Housing Trust Fund Interim Rule
- State Diversity Directory
- CFR 200 Uniform Administrative Requirements; Procurement
- 24 CFR Part 35; Lead Based Hazards
National Housing Trust Fund Environmental Reviews Tutorial - Covers the Environmental Review requirements and processes for the National Housing Trust Fund
|Compliant NHTF Procurement
Covers the procurement requirements of the NHTF program, including such topics as: risks of noncompliance, procurement standards, conflicts of interest, procurement methods, limits, and resources for further information.