Why am I required to complete Homebuyer Education?
THDA recognizes the impact Homebuyer Education has created for many homeowners across the state,and we understand the value it brings. Because of this, we feel every future homeowner would benefit from receiving Homebuyer Education in order to learn the steps of the home-buying process and how to be a sustainable homeowner. THDA requires Homebuyer Education for all borrowers applying for down payment assistance and we encourage it for all future homebuyers.
What is required for the program I am considering?
Great Choice Home Loan: Although strongly recommended, Homebuyer Education is not required.
Great Choice Plus: A Pre-Purchase Homebuyer Education course is required through a THDA-approved provider. You must complete either a 6+ hour in-person class or an online course.
Homeownership for the Brave: A Pre-Purchase Homebuyer Education course is required through a THDA-approved provider. You must complete either a 6+ hour in-person class or an online course.
HHF Down Payment Assistance: Both a Pre-Purchase course and Post-Purchase course must be completed prior to closing. You must complete either a 8+ hour in-person "Combo" class from a THDA-approved provider or, if you prefer to take the courses online, you must complete each course individually from the same THDA-approved provider.
STEP IN: A discount code is made available for State of Tennessee employees to complete the Pre-Purchase Online course. Contact the HBEI Team at email@example.com for more information.
Take Credit Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC): Any form of Homebuyer Education is accepted. THDA does offer an online course specific to this program. Contact the HBEI Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How do I register for the class I would like to take?
To sign up, click right here for a calendar of upcoming classes. Then follow these steps:
- Look for a class in a city near you. (If you need a "Combo" course, be sure only to look for classes labeled "Combo)
- Click on the name of the class.
- Contact information for the provider will pop up.
- Call or email the provider to enroll in the class.
If you're having trouble using the calendar to find a class near you, please click here for detailed instructions.
Click right here to visit the THDA section of eHome America. Then follow these steps:
- On the right-hand side of the webpage, select your county from the list (or the county closest to you).
- Click "Continue."
- Click the button by the type of course you need to take.
- Click "Get Started."
- Click "Select" under the name of the course provider closest to you.
- Click the button next to "individual" or "couple."
- Click "Submit."
- Fill in the online registration form.
I was looking for a class on the HBEI calendar and saw “Combo.” What does that mean?
"Combo" classes are offered for borrowers applying for the new $15,000 HHF Down Payment Assistance program and THDA's Homeownership Voucher Program. The Combo class covers both Pre-Purchase and Post Purchase courses in a single 8-hour class. Combo classes are only available in person.
How do I find an approved Housing Counseling Agency in my area?
If you plan to participate in either the $15,000 HHF Down Payment Assistance program or THDA's Homeownership Voucher Program, you can find approved Housing Counseling Agencies by clicking these links:
- East Tennessee HHF Homebuyer Education providers
- Middle Tennessee HHF Homebuyer Education providers
- West Tennessee HHF Homebuyer Education providers
Participants in all other THDA programs can find the approved Housing Counseling Agency closest to them by clicking this link and choosing their home county.
I was looking at the calendar and noticed that the providers charge different prices. What is the difference in the classes?
The curriculum (Realizing the American Dream) will be the same no matter which agency you complete your class with. Each agency is able to set their own class fee within limits set by THDA.
- In-person Pre-Purchase course (minimum of 6 hours): maximum of $99 per household
- In-person Post-Purchase course (minimum of 2 hours): maximum of $50 per household
- In-person "Combo" class (minimum of 8 hours): maximum of $149 per household
- Online courses: eHome America prices apply
I paid for my online course and have decided not to apply for a THDA loan. Can I get a refund?
THDA does not issue refunds. We believe that the education will be beneficial regardless of the loan product you choose.