Why am I required to complete Homebuyer Education?
THDA recognizes the impact Homebuyer Education has created for many homeowners across the state,and we understand the value it brings. Because of this, we feel every future homeowner would benefit from receiving Homebuyer Education in order to learn the steps of the home-buying process and how to be a sustainable homeowner. THDA requires Homebuyer Education for all borrowers applying for a THDA mortgage loan.
What class is required for the mortgage program I am considering?
The "Pre-Purchase Homebuyer Education Course" is required for ALL THDA mortgage loan programs and must be taken through a THDA-approved provider. You must complete either a 6+ hour in-person class or the online course.
What is the cost of the homebuyer education class?
Online Course: Cost is $99.
In-Person Class: Each agency is able to set their own class fee within limits set by THDA. The cost will be listed on the Class Calendar information, along with what is included. The cost will not be more than $99.
The curriculum (Realizing the American Dream) will be the same no matter which agency you complete your class with.
STEP IN discount code: A discount code is made available for employees participating in the STEP IN program through their employers to complete the Pre-Purchase Online course. Contact the HBEI Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How do I register for the class I would like to take?
To sign up, click right here for a calendar of upcoming classes. Then follow these steps:
- Look for a class in a city near you.
- Click on the name of the class.
- Contact information for the provider will pop up.
- Call or email the provider to enroll in the class.
If you're having trouble using the calendar to find a class near you, please click here for detailed instructions.
Click right here to visit the THDA section of eHome America. Then follow these steps:
- On the right-hand side of the webpage, select your county from the list (or the county closest to you).
- Click "Continue."
- Click the button by the type of course you need to take.
- Click "Get Started."
- Click "Select" under the name of the course provider closest to you.
- Click the button next to "individual" or "couple."
- Click "Submit."
- Fill in the online registration form.
How do I find an approved Housing Counseling Agency in my
- East Tennessee HHF Homebuyer Education providers
- Middle Tennessee HHF Homebuyer Education providers
- West Tennessee HHF Homebuyer Education providers
Participants in THDA programs can find the approved Housing Counseling Agency closest to them by clicking this link and choosing their home county.
I paid for my online course and have decided not to apply for a THDA loan. Can I get a refund?
THDA does not issue refunds. We believe that the education will be beneficial regardless of the loan product you choose.