One of the most effective ways THDA can help prepare homebuyers for success is with a pre-purchase homebuyer education course. An independent study of THDA home loans shows that this course reduces the odds of foreclosure by 42%.
In order to qualify for any of THDA's mortgage loan programs, you must complete a pre-purchase course from an approved provider in your area.
You can attend this course online or in a classroom, whichever you prefer.
The advantage of an "in-person" course is that you will participate in a classroom with other homebuyers like yourself.
- Minimum of 6 hours
- Registration fee up to $99
- Uses the "Realizing the American Dream" curriculum
- Receive a THDA "Pre-Purchase Certificate of Completion" when course is complete
To sign up, click right here for a calendar of upcoming classes. Then follow these steps:
- Look for a location and time that’s convenient for you.
- Click on the name of the class.
- Contact information for the provider will pop up.
- Call or email the provider to enroll in the class.
If you're having trouble using the calendar to find a class near you, please click here for detailed instructions.
The advantage of an online class is that you can participate from the comfort of your own home and learn at your own pace.
- Requires an internet connection
- Registration fee of $99
- Courses are hosted on the eHome America website
- Must meet with the instructor by phone or in person for one hour after completing online course
- Receive a THDA online "Pre-Purchase Certificate of Completion" after meeting with instructor
To sign up, click right here to visit the THDA section of eHome America. Then follow these steps:
- On the right-hand side of the webpage, select your county from the list (or the county closest to you).
- Click "Continue."
- Click the button by "Homebuyer Education Course."
- Click "Get Started."
- Click "Select" under the name of the course provider closest to you.
- Click the button next to "individual" or "couple."
- Click "Submit."
- Fill in the online registration form.
NOTE: If you're a State employee or an employee of Step In participating corporations, you are eligible for a 75% discount on an online pre-purchase course through the STEP In program. Please click here for details.