Choosing a Class
In order to qualify for any of THDA's mortgage loan programs, you must complete a course from an approved provider in your area.
THDA offers two options for this course. You can attend an online course or a classroom style course*, whichever you prefer.
The class helps you act with confidence throughout the home-buying process, and an independent study of THDA’s Homebuyer Education program proves it significantly improves financial stability and success for the people who take it. You’ll learn what questions to ask when looking for a home, how to qualify for a home loan, how to protect and maintain your home, and how to manage your money as a homeowner. You’ll also get to participate in a one-hour, one-on-one counseling session with a THDA-certified instructor.
The ideal time to take a homebuyer education class is before you start looking for a home, but it’s never too late to sign up.
*COVID-19 Guidance: The classroom style course may be virtual or in-person, depending on CDC and State guidelines during the pandemic. Please call the education provider for details on classes posted to the Class Calendar.
Classroom Style Course
The advantage of a classroom style course is that you will participate in a classroom setting (virtual or in-person) with other homebuyers like yourself.
- Minimum of 6 hours
- Registration fee depends on location, and will not exceed $99
- Uses the "Realizing the American Dream" curriculum
- Receive a THDA "Certificate of Completion" when course is complete
To sign up, click here for a calendar of upcoming classes. Then follow these steps:
- Look for a location or a virtual class, and time that’s convenient for you.
- Click on the name of the class.
- Contact information for the provider will pop up.
- Call or email the provider to enroll in the class.
The advantage of an online class is that you can participate from the comfort of your own home and learn at your own pace.
- Requires an internet connection
- Registration fee is $99
- Courses are hosted on the eHome America website
- Must meet with the instructor by phone or in person for one hour after completing online course
- Receive a THDA online "Certificate of Completion" after meeting with instructor
To sign up, click right here to visit the THDA section of eHome America. Then follow these steps:
- On the right-hand side of the webpage, select your county from the list (or the county closest to you).
- Click "Continue."
- Click the button by "Homebuyer Education Course."
- Click "Get Started."
- Click "Select" under the name of the course provider closest to you.
- Click the button next to "individual" or "couple."
- Click "Submit."
- Fill in the online registration form.
Step In Program Discount
Eligible participants of Step In may enroll in the online class with a discount code
Please click here to find out more about STEP In.