As a state agency, THDA celebrates and honors the men and women who serve in our country’s military with the Homeownership for the Brave program.
Homeownership for the Brave is a type of Great Choice Home Loan that offers financial assistance along with these added benefits:
- Reduced interest rate by half percentage point (0.5%)
- Waive requirements to be a first-time homeowner in all areas of Tennessee
- Borrow up to 100% of home’s purchase price with a VA-backed loan or 96.5% with FHA or USDA-RD loans
Do You Qualify?
The Homeownership for the Brave program is available to:
- Active duty service members, including the National Guard
- Veterans (unless dishonorably discharged)
- Reservists with at least 180 days of active duty service
- Spouses of qualified service members, reservists, and veterans (including surviving spouses)
Financial Assistance Available
Homeownership for the Brave includes the option for financial assistance with your loan-related expenses, including down payment (if borrowing less than 100%) and/or closing costs.
Act with Confidence
THDA manages a network of approved homeownership counselors who teach homebuyer education classes. Signing up for one of these classes is the first thing you should do when you start your housing search.
A homebuyer education class can teach you:
- How to determine your budget
- What makes a home right for you
- What questions to ask when looking at a home
- How to qualify for a home loan
- What’s involved in maintaining a home once you’re a homeowner
Consistent, Reliable Home Loans
As a state agency, THDA designed the Great Choice Home Loan program so that lenders are able to say “yes” to more military households and veterans. Responsible lending is our top priority. We only offer 30-year, fixed interest rate home loans, and we’ve never offered anything else.
If a Great Choice Home Loan sounds like it might be right for you, we encourage you to contact a lender and REALTOR® who are trained and approved for the Great Choice Home Loan program.
Find an approved lender in your area.
Find an approved REALTOR in your area.
When you choose a Great Choice Home Loan, your monthly payments help fund home repairs for the elderly, ramp installations for people with disabilities, emergency services for the homeless, and other state housing programs.
Find out why Great Choice Home Loans are the Mortgage with Heart.