Becoming a THDA Originating Agent
Welcome and thank you for your interest in becoming an approved lending partner with THDA. We are now accepting applications for new Originating Agents.
Our agency welcomes the opportunity to work with lenders across the state to help us deliver program resources to qualified buyers throughout Tennessee.
Below you will find more information on the benefits, eligibility criteria, loan programs, and the application process. Applications can take up to 30 business days to approve after submitting a completed file.
- Increase your business by making loans to Tennessee residents whose finances may have kept them out of the housing market.
- Generate referral business and help strengthen your local community.
- Meet Requirements set by the Community Reinvestment Act.
- Competitively Priced Interest Rates
- Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance
- Government Products (FHA, VA and USDA Rural Development)
- Conventional 97% LTV Products specifically for Housing Finance Agencies, some include Lower Mortgage Insurance Premiums (Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac)
- Service Release Premiums of 75 basis points, lender compensation of 100 basis points and allowable Origination Fee to be charged up to 1% of the loan amount.
- Homebuyer Education Classes prepare borrowers for homeownership.
- Borrowers remain your customers, no solicitation by servicer for refinances, THDA retains the servicing.
- Have the appropriate approvals to originate the loan type you plan to offer, whether FHA, VA, USDA or conventional.
- Originate, process, underwrite, close, and fund loans in your own name.
- Must be able to retain/manage 30-45 days of interim servicing of closed loans prior to purchase by THDA.
- Be compliant with federal and state banking laws pertaining to minimum capital requirements and regulations.
- Have not violated any federal banking regulations and not be undergoing any enforcement proceedings of any legal level.
- Have a minimum new worth of $1 million.
- Pay an initial application fee of $110, and an annual recertification fee of $250.
- Complete a lender training session with Agency staff.
- Any lender not closing a minimum of 6 loans annually is subject to termination from the program; subject to THDA discretion and review.
Duties and Responsibilities of THDA-Approved Lenders:
- Establish and maintain eligibility to act as an originating agent for THDA
- Originate, process and close THDA mortgage loans
- Protect THDA's interests with respect to each THDA mortgage loan
- Ensure that all personnel with any responsibility for THDA mortgage loans are familiar with and comply, in all respects, with all THDA requirements and procedures
- Hold all funds or documents received in connection with THDA mortgage loans in trust for the sole benefit of THDA and release or disburse such funds or documents as required
- Deliver all required documents according to timeline, after THDA mortgage loans are closed
- Ensure proper and efficient originating, processing and closing of THDA mortgage loans and delivery of all required documents and all other services necessary
- Assist unsuccessful applicants for THDA funding in identifying other potential sources for mortgage financing
Lenders may apply to participate in EITHER or BOTH of the following THDA mortgage loan programs:
Mortgage Revenue Bond Programs:
- Great Choice
- Great Choice Plus (Down Payment Assistance Loan)
- Homeownership for Heroes
- Homeownership for Heroes Plus (Down Payment Assistance Loan)
Mortgage Backed Securities Programs:
- Freddie Mac HFA Advantage®
- Freddie Mac HFA Advantage® Plus (Down Payment Assistance Loan)
How to Apply:
We have partnered with Comergence by Optimal Blue to launch our new lender application process.
Your organization will need to create an account in our Loan Origination System, THELMA. Click the Link to create your lender profile. Once you have created a lender profile, you will receive an email from THELMA letting you know that you have successfully completed Part 1. It will then ask you to click on a link to continue the application process. DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK. We are working to get this portion removed. The link will NOT allow you to complete the application.
After successful account creation in THELMA, your organization will receive an invitation to apply with THDA via the Comergence platform. If your organization does not have an account with Comergence, we ask that you create one here. We will not be able to send an invitation to apply without an account. The invitation will be available and visible on your organization dashboard for all registered users.
NOTE: Applications are not created until the invite is accepted.
All application documentation and information will be handled in Comergence. We will not accept documents via email.
For more information, please call 615-815-2100 or contact our mortgage specialists at email@example.com.