COVID related eligible hardship must have occurred between January 21, 2020 and May 11, 2023.

Effective May 15th there is a new assistance option available, please see the FAQ’s below for more information.

For assistance, you can reach the call center at 855-890-8073.

*If your mortgage servicer is not listed, please go ahead and apply. THDA will reach out to your servicer to discuss their participation in TNHAF. The following lenders have opted NOT to participate in this program: Dovenmuehle Mortgage, Inc., Walker Farms HOA, and National Asset Mortgage, LLC.

HAF Program Executive Summary

HAF Program Executive Summary (in Español)

Click here for the HAF Treasury Report.

Documents required for a participating entity to receive funds on behalf of an applicant:
HAF Collaboration Agreement
State of TN Supplier Direct Deposit Authorization
Blank W-9
Sample memo for remittance

TNHAF Frequent Asked Questions

How do I apply for the TNHAF program?

You may apply for assistance through the TNHAF by clicking the application button at the top of the page. Once you click the button, a new window will open with instructions on creating an account to begin the application process.

What are the requirements to qualify for assistance through the TNHAF?

The following are some of the main requirements. This list is not all inclusive. A TNHAF underwriter will review your information and determine eligibility according to TNHAF guidelines.

• You must have experienced a qualified financial hardship related to the Coronavirus Pandemic. The hardship must have occurred after January 21, 2020, and prior to May 11, 2023 (the official end to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency), and the hardship must have occurred after the purchase or refinance of your home.

• You must currently own and occupy the property as your primary residence

• Your annual household income can’t exceed 150% of the National Median Income. Currently this amount is $144,300.

• Other guidelines will apply

What documentation is required to apply for TNHAF assistance?

The following items will be needed for all borrowers on the mortgage and their spouses in order to submit the application for review:

  • Driver’s license or state ID
  • Current and previous year’s tax returns with W-2s
  • Copies of most recent paystubs covering 30 days and/or other forms of current income such as SSI, retirement, etc.
  • Most recent mortgage statement

There may be additional required documents requested in order to establish eligibility.

What is the maximum amount of financial assistance I may receive through the TNHAF program?

The TNHAF program will assist with eligible housing related expenses that meet program guidelines up to the maximum assistance per household of $40,000.

What are the different types of program assistance?

There are currently four types of assistance available to those who qualify. You will be asked during the application process which one you wish to apply for. Once your application has been approved, the underwriter will determine the type of assistance that you qualify for.

• Reinstatement only- This option is for homeowners who have recovered from the COVID related hardship and can afford their monthly payment going forward, but need assistance with the past due balance.

• Reinstatement plus payments- This option is for homeowners who are still experiencing a reduction of income and need assistance with monthly payments for a limited period of time after their mortgage is brought current.

• Reinstatement plus loss mitigation- This option is for homeowners who have experienced a long term reduction of income and need to establish a more affordable monthly payment.

  • Partial Claim reimbursement- If you brought your Covid related delinquency current through loss mitigation using a partial claim, you may be eligible to have the partial claim paid off or reduced. This option is available ONLY for certain government backed loans (FHA is one example).

What is a Partial Claim?

The Partial Claim is a zero-interest subordinate lien that will include a portion of the amount to be resolved and if you meet the requirements, a principal deferment. The remainder is added to the principal loan balance of your first mortgage and extends the term for 30 years (360 months) at a fixed interest rate. (

What expenses does funding from the TNHAF program cover?

Eligible homeowners may receive financial assistance to cover the following housing expenses:

1. Delinquent mortgage payments, including reimbursement of partial claims, and eligible mortgage related expenses to bring the mortgage loan current, and if eligible, up to 6 months of ongoing mortgage payments.

2. Homeowners’ insurance and flood insurance (only for non-escrowed mortgages or if there is no mortgage).

3. Past due homeowner and condo association fees/dues.

4. Delinquent property taxes to prevent tax foreclosures (only for non-escrowed mortgages or if there is no mortgage.)

Can I get assistance with my current monthly payments?

Yes, if you meet the eligibility requirements per program guidelines, you may be eligible for up to 6 months of ongoing mortgage payments after your past due amount has been brought current.

Do I receive the money from this program to pay my mortgage?

TNHAF payments are delivered directly to the servicer and/or approved entities for qualified housing related expenses. Funds are not paid directly to homeowners.

Will I have to pay this money back?

No. Financial assistance obtained through the TNHAF does not require repayment.

How do I get in touch with the TNHAF Call Center?

The TNHAF call center can be reached at 855-890-8073. The call center hours are Monday through Friday 7am to 7pm CST.

I don’t have a computer. How can I apply?

If you need assistance in completing your application, please contact the call center at 855-890-8073. A call center representative will refer you to a HUD certified counselor who will be able to assist with your application.

Can I apply in person?

Yes. If you wish to apply in person, you may request a referral to a HUD certified counselor in your area who will be able to assist with your application by calling the call center at 855-890-8073.

I can’t get into the application portal – what do I do?

Please call the TNHAF call center at 855-890-8073. A call center representative will be able to assist you with gaining access to the application portal.

I have forgotten my password. What do I need to do? Who can help me?

In the TNHAF application portal, please click on “Forgot Password.” This will guide you through the process to reset your password.

Can I apply for this program with my phone or tablet?

Yes. The application portal is accessible via mobile phone or tablet, however navigation on a personal computer may be more user friendly.

How long do I have to complete the application?

The application should be completed in a timely manner. Incomplete applications will not be submitted for processing or review. All required information and documentation must be submitted in order for the application to be deemed complete and submitted for review.

How do determine the status of my application?

You may view the status of your application on the TNHAF application portal or contact a call center representative at 855-890-8073 to obtain a status update.

What happens in each stage of the process?

Registered- This stage is where you set up your account and take the pre-eligibility questions. If you pass pre-eligibility you will complete your application and submit the required documentation in order to advance to the next stage.

Submitted- During this stage the intake clerk will verify that your servicer is participating in the program and will advance the application forward if your servicer is participating. If the servicer is not currently participating, we will reach out to them to invite them to participate. Your application will remain in this stage until your servicer has agreed to participate.

Qualification- During this stage the documentation that you have uploaded will be reviewed for completeness. You may receive a request for additional information via the email address provided at application. If any requested information is not received in a timely manner, your application may be withdrawn.

Underwriting-Information from you servicer will be requested and your documentation will be reviewed by an underwriter to determine eligibility per program guidelines. Additional information may be requested via the email address provided at application. During this stage you will receive notification of approval or denial. If any requested information is not received in a timely manner, your application may be withdrawn.

Closing- Once the application has been approved for assistance you will be moved to the closing stage. We will verify that you have completed the education video and consultation call, update information from your servicer, if applicable. Your application may be selected for a pre-funding quality control review and if so, would be reviewed during this stage.

Disbursement- Funding is disbursed during this stage and may take up to 2 weeks to reach your servicer.

Monitoring- Files in this stage may be selected for a Quality Control review.

Competed- Your application will be moved to this stage upon completion of all payments and assistance has ended.

Appeals-If your application is denied and you appeal the decision you file will be moved to this stage if the appeal is approved to reopen the application for review.

I am separated from my spouse – do I have to include my spouse’s information?

Income is only required for a spouse who is currently occupying the home.

I have been asked for additional information. How long do I have to provide the information?

The request for additional documentation will include the submission deadline.

What do I need to do if my application is withdrawn?

Applications are withdrawn due to failure to provide all required information/documentation. Once all required information and documents have been submitted, you may request to have the application reopened by calling the call center.

If my application is denied can I request an appeal?

If your application is denied, you may submit an appeal of the decision within 30 days of the denial notification. The appeal request must include an explanation as to why the appeal is being submitted along with sufficient documentation to verify an appeal is substantiated. The denial will include instructions on how to appeal the decision.

I can’t locate my taxes, what can I do?

Tax transcripts are available at . Once you are on the IRS website, click on get your tax record. Choose “request online” for immediate access to your transcripts. You will then need to create an account (follow the directions on the website) or if you already have an account you need to log in. Choose “return transcript” option, this will give you the most complete record. You may also choose your wage and income transcripts from the same year if you do not have already have those. You will have access to the last several years of taxes filed. Once you have accessed the necessary transcript, save to PDF. You can then upload the documents into the application portal.

What is the homeowner course that is required? And when do homeowner’s need to take this?

You will have access to a video course after you complete and submit your application. The course explains various options for loss mitigation, budgeting, etc. that may help you determine what is best for your specific situation. We suggest completing this as soon as possible in the process. It will be required if your application for assistance is approved. Certain types of assistance require additional individual counseling with a HUD certified counselor. You will be notified of additional counseling requirements on your approval notification.

I brought my Covid related delinquency current through loss mitigation with my lender. Can I still receive any assistance?

If your mortgage is a government backed loan such as FHA or VA, and your Covid related delinquency was resolved with a partial claim, you may be eligible to have the claim paid off or reduced if you qualify. If you are unsure of what type of loan you have, contact your servicer to find out.