S8 Property Owners and Landlords
Participation of private property owners is critical to the success of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program. Your interest in providing an affordable housing option for low-income families is appreciated! The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a three-way partnership between THDA, the tenant family and the owner/landlord. In order for the program to be successful, each party has unique responsibilities. View the video below to learn the basic roles, benefits, and responsibilities of partnering with the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- Provide a safe, decent and sanitary unit;
- Charge a reasonable rent comparable to similar market properties;
- Not charge side rent or rent not disclosed to THDA;
- Fulfill the obligations outlined in the lease agreement and housing assistance (HAP) contract.
Tenant Family Responsibilities
- Follow the voucher program obligations, including to adherence to terms of their lease agreement and timely payment of rent portion.
- Make timely rental subsidy payments on behalf of tenant families each month, on or before the 5th day of the month;
- Enforce both the HAP contract (owner/landlord) and the tenant family obligations.
- Tenant selection rests with the owner.
- Monthly subsidy payments are electronically paid through ACH to the owner on the last working day of the month
prior to due date.
- Rental assistance promotes stable occupancy and reduces tenant turnover.
- There is no interference by THDA with the owner-tenant relationship except as mediator.
- Rents may be adjusted annually.
- Owner’s current tenants may be eligible to participate in the program.
Listing Available Units
THDA continually invites owners to make dwelling units available for leasing by eligible Voucher families. You may list your property on TNHousingSearch.org. Applicants and participants are referred to TNHousingSearch.org for available rental listings. It is the responsibility of the landlord to determine the suitability of prospective tenants. Owners are encouraged to screen applicants for rent payment history, eviction history, damage to units and other factors related to the family’s suitability as a tenant.
Payment Standards effective December 1, 2023
Payment Standards Effective 12/1/22
Payment Standards Effective 12/1/21
Payment Standards Effective 12/1/20
Supplier Direct Deposit Authorization Form
Request for Rent Increase
Supplier Information Form
Supplier Admittance Advice Address Change Packet
Email Deposit Notification Form
HCV Administrative Plans